Thursday, November 15, 2007

Web 2.0 Award Winners: Thing 19

I took a look at the Web 2.0 awards and was surprised to find sites that I now know about, since I have checked them out for the 23 Things program. (Which helped me to see how far I've come since I began the program in September!)

For my in-depth examination, I chose Craig's List. My 29-year-old nephew Will talks all the time about what he finds on Craig's List....jobs, possible rides and traveling partners, romantic interests. But I have never taken a close look at the site.

Craig's list is well-designed for people to search for their many needs according to locale, in my case the Baltimore area. The site resembles a gigantic newspaper classifieds section. The needs covered would most appeal to young people (which is why my nephew is so fond of it). Romantic encounters, ride sharing, house swapping, travel, and job listings cover just a few of the potential opportunities offered by Craig's List. There are also opportunities for older people, but from the tone of the listings, it does seem that young people are the target audience.

Craig's List basically covers the world with the listings on their site. From Manila to Australia and from Ottawa to Hong Kong, there are the same possible opportunities for everyone in the world. The classified listings are the same for all places, but people in foreign counties might participate more or less according to their English skills (the site reads in English, no matter what the country) and according to their internet capability.

I can see myself using Craig's List on occasion and am happy to have had this chance to look at it in depth.

Jean

No comments: