Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Thing 16: Wikis

What did you find interesting?

What's interesting? Everything about a wiki is interesting--a wiki is the ultimate democratization of information.

I read them and enjoy the concept that people like me, but maybe with more expertise, can share their knowledge with/for others to use. After all, we can't all know everything. As I have said previously, I don't even suggest using a wiki to school kids, who I work with extensively, because I don't consider the information to be as reliable as vetted or peer edited sites or books. But for those of us who can verify the source and the information, wikis are great.

I can see using a wiki as a collaborative planning tool. For example, each member of a team could use the wiki to share ideas without all the back-n-forth of emailing. This would be particularly useful in groups which collaborate but are in remote locations.

The wiki could supplement the use of delicious as a collaborative research tool. Research on delicious could be reacted to in a wiki, by a group of people or by just 2.

Jeanie

No comments: