Thursday, September 13, 2007

Thing 2: 7 & a Half Habits

The love of learning has driven me all of my adult life, and is the most important quality I pursue when choosing a job. "Does the potential job give me an opportunity to learn something new?" Yes, then I will consider it. No, then absolutely not. I have had a rich and varied work life because of this rule. Obviously, working at HCL qualifies as a learning opportunity.

Reading is an important tool to use when learning, especially when learning ideas. You can do it anywhere, you don't need a group or any special equipment, and it's a relaxing, pleasurable leisure activity. While reading doesn't teach a learner how to play a musical instrument or to hang glide, learning even these kinesthetic activities can be enhanced by reading about them.

I particularly appreciate "Habit" #3, View problems as challenges....it encourages persistence, which I view as one of the most vital qualities of a lifelong learner. Persistence encourages confidence (#4) ...in fact without persistence, learning anything is impossible.

No comments: